Mission & History
Established in 1974 in Tokyo, the Confederation of International Contractors’ Associations (CICA) represents the construction industry at the world level. The worldwide construction industry, involving contractors of all sizes, represents a global turnover of about US$ 7 trillion and employs around 120 million people.
In 2022, CICA gathers 3 regional federations in the world, representing 61 countries:
- European Federation: European Construction Industry Federation (FIEC)
- Latin American Federation: Inter-American Federation of the Construction Industry (FIIC)
- Middle Eastern Federation: Federation of Arab Contractors (FAC) (temporarily inactive)
CICA Members also include the Canadian Construction Association (CCA), the Overseas Construction Association of Japan, Inc. (OCAJI), the Construction Association of Korea (CAK).
Contacts are currently being established with the national African Federations to form a regional federation to become a CICA Member.
CICA’s International Role
CICA and its member federations, along with their national federations and their companies, are able to assist Governments, international financial institutions (especially Multilateral Development Banks) and other international organizations in order to :
- Contribute to the elaboration and implementation of their infrastructure projects or action plans;
- Collaborate actively in the definition and implementation of the required policies (notably in procurement, infrastructure, anticorruption and integrity).
We are a Non Profit, Voluntary, Global Association
We represent member construction companies and associations from different regions
As a non-profit, voluntary and global association representing member construction companies and associations from different regions, CICA takes part in the following actions :
- CICA represents and speaks for the construction industry on technical, legal, socio-economic and financial matters of international concerns and provides a forum for fellowship, cooperation and interaction with member federations, companies and linked institutions;
- CICA is a club for contractors of any size and acts as a lobby at international level interacting with public and private organizations including Multilateral Development Banks and development agencies;
- CICA encourages the exchange of experience, information and technical knowledge and benefit from cooperation agreements with institutions or organizations such as the New Engineering Contracts, the World Association for Public-Private Partnerships Units and Professionals, the Dispute Resolution Board Foundation etc.;
- CICA promotes investment in engineering and building that enhances both our environment and the quality of life for all;
- CICA promotes the global construction industry, by stressing notably its fundamental impact on the economy at local, regional and global levels.